Recently, I read an article on the topic of poverty in the Czech Republic. Surprisingly, the number of people living in poverty is much higher than expected, almost 10% of Czech citizens. Is there anything I can do to change or to avoid this situation? Personally? Minimalist and zero/less waste lifestyle are the core of non-consumerism. What do I do to save money?
My 10 tips how to save money and planet too
- Learn how to say NO to all the unwanted and unnecessary bargains and free products. I used to have so many unused testers in my bathroom. I never used them up and had to throw away eventually anyway.
- Quality over quantity.
- I am only using products, that I already own. I am also avoiding buying similar products to those I already own.
- Avoid impulsive shopping – aka don’t go shopping when you feel unhappy. The shopping is bringing very temporary happiness.
- If in doubts, go home and wait for at least 24h (or even two days). If the thing is still coming up on my mind, I will buy it.
- I always carry a reusable bottle and lunch box. Same for canvas and grocery bags.
- Bea Johnson –zero waste guru – says that we should consume what was already made before we buy something new.
- Make your own monthly budget. If you want to, you can use some of the special apps for this purpose.
- Borrow it! I don’t organise a barbecue every day. That is why I don’t need to buy my own grill and borrow it instead if needed. Try to search for some web page where you can borrow it.
- Is there some activity you would like to try out or some new experience? For me
,it’s dancing and travelling. Bit costly, isn’t it? That is the reason why I am saving some money in advance.
I’m halfway through month-lasting “no shopping” challenge. I’d like to save some money for my upcoming trip to Frankfurt. A small leather bag would be also nice.
One of my childhood memories is my piggy-bank. I always tried to save up for what I wanted the most. And some of those things last till now. For me, it’s
Have you ever considered how many unnecessary things we buy and own?